728x90 header
Chickens Secondary Header

Post-9-11 Anxiety Increases Distrust: More American Waivers Needed

On 11 September 2001, when the World Trade Center and the Pentagon were subjected to the attack of terrorists who flew hijacked commercial aircraft kamikaze-style into them, Canada quickly showed solidarity with the United States. This ranged from diverting aircraft to Canadian airports such as Toronto International and Gander, Newfoundland to outpourings of condolences. But today, almost ten years after the attacks, Canada and the US would seem to be more distant from each other in some respects. It is as if “9-11” has caused the rift between the two neighbouring countries to increase beyond their traditional rivalry into a more substantial estrangement. Let us look at the ways in which this has been manifested.

Opposing political viewpoints

When “9-11” sparked the American invasion of Afghanistan, Canada and many other countries showed solidarity by contributing troops to the war. But when US president George W. Bush wanted to extend the “war on terror” to Iraq, Canada initially refused to participate in this new theatre of war unless supported by the United Nations. This not only angered Bush, whose slogan was “you’re either for us or against us”; it re-kindled wounds from the time of the Vietnam War, when many Americans fled to Canada in order to avoid conscription and service in Vietnam, while Canada was accused by some Americans of cowardice for not participating in the conflict as actively as the United States.

In fact, some American soldiers, dismayed by what they see as a brutal and unjust war in Iraq, have deserted and tried to receive asylum in Canada. So far, however, the Canadian government, probably afraid of diplomatic difficulties, has held off formally permitting the deserters to stay, as opposed to the draft dodgers that were welcomed with open arms in the Vietnam era.

Tighter border security

The US-Canada boundary is known as the world’s longest undefended border. Undefended, perhaps, but not unguarded. It used to be one of the easiest borders in the world to cross, particularly in the case of American border guards admitting Canadians and vice versa. The terrorist attacks have long put an end to this relaxed climate; travellers’ documents are now much more likely to be meticulously checked. Moreover, both American and Canadian border officials subject travellers’ documents to criminal background checks against electronic information from police files. It is illegal for a foreigner who has ever been convicted of a criminal offence to travel to the US without an American waiver. An American criminal waiver (officially, a waiver of inadmissibility) is a visa-like document issued to foreigners by the Department of Homeland Security and allows a convicted foreigner to travel to the US for a period of one to five years. If a convicted Canadian attempts to cross the border without an American waiver, they will be deported and may be prosecuted. On its side, Canada also screens travellers, deporting those with a criminal past, unless they acquire “rehabilitation”, either by means of an official document that is the Canadian equivalent of an American waiver or by allowing a certain period of time to pass since the crime was committed or the sentence served, depending on the offence.

Nor is crossing the border across open spaces safe; although there are not many border guards patrolling the Canada-US border (unlike the US-Mexico border), there are motion detectors along the border that can spot a person crossing at points other than an official point of entry, alerting officials.

Where the enemy comes from

Nonetheless, Canadians and Americans continue to visit each others’ countries, to fraternize, and even find work on the other side of the border. One of the reasons for the heightened alert does not pertain so much to home-grown Canadians and Americans as to the risk of terrorist infiltration. For there is the risk that some foreigners with the wrong mindset will spend some time in one country (as some of the 9-11 hijackers were claimed to have done, allegedly learning to fly in Canada and then perpetrating their attacks in the US) and then move to the other to commit their crimes. Both countries wish to prevent this, but doing so comes at a price – heightened cross-border vigilance and, to some extent, a reduced sense of trust.

Ned Lecic lives and works in Toronto. He is a writer for a Canadian pardons agency.

Article Source:

Immigration Attorney Heather L. Poole discusses the 3 and 10 year immigration bars to re-entering the US that are triggered by certain amount of time spent in the US without a visa or legal status (called unlawful presence), including waivers available, who can qualify for a waiver, the legal requirements if you’ve triggered one of the bars, and how to avoid them. For free consultation with Attorney Heather, call 877.486.2678 or visit
Video Rating: 4 / 5

Question by : 19 yr/old Canadian Barred from Us!? HELP PLEASE!!!!?

In 2007 I was 14 years old and I came to The US, legally, with my father. I believe I entered on my fathers L2 (business) Visa. While in the states I lived with my fathers wife, who was also Canadian. He moved back to Canada In 2009. I lived there for 5 years until I was 19, 2011. The L2 Visa expired some time during the summer of 2010, when I was 18. Keep In Mind when you are a 14 year old you don’t think to ask questions pertaining to immigration status and all that stuff. So as the years went on I assumed all was well and had no reason worry. I did not know anything about my visa or about unlawful presence and being barred…etc. All I knew is that my father brought me to Georgia to live. The rest was never explained to me. It Was not until I began to inquire about obtaining a social security number to apply for scholarships for college that I began to understand the unlawful presence consequences and what type of visa I entered the county with. By then I was to late had already overstayed my visa by a year. I am a Canadian.

My questions are:

how do I find out if I have been barred officially?

are there any actions I can take to gain re entry/ a waiver if I have been barred? since I was underage when I came and did not know of or about anything pertaining to visa’s ( children typically trust their parents with that stuff.) It seems unreasonable to assume I would know.

Canadians be banned at all?

does anyone know anything about children entering with L2 visa and overstaying? I know its pretty specific.

Please help? Im not sure

Best answer:

Answer by NICK
Do you imagine you will get an answer from the 13 year olds here? Contact US immigration

Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments!
Bengals' Hawkins proving doubters wrong
He then signed with Montreal of the Canadian Football League, where he played two seasons. He longed to make it in the NFL, though, and he sent … Hawkins was placed on the waiver wire, and 24 hours later he was claimed by the Bengals. He got cut …
Read more on Fox Sports Ohio

Accepted For Value Winston Shrout … All these Winston Shrout videos relate to the same matter .. Claiming back Your right, and personal control of Your Bond, & Life. Accepted for Value … Accepted for Value 2 … You Own A Bond Accessing You Bond Waiver Benefit Privilege Waiver Benefit Privilege 2 Declaratory Judgement 1 Declaratory Judgement 2 Declaratory Judgement 3 “What I can say to you about Accepted For Value is, it is 100% applicable to the UK, and it is 100% correct for use in the UK in its current bankrupt state, I say current it was Bankrupt in 1869, evidenced by the Bankruptcy Act of 1869 now located and understood, we are in fact in the equivalent to a (Chapter 11) Bankruptcy which is Debtors in Possession. Not only do we show this piece of damming legislation as evidence of the bankruptcy but we also have the Amendment to the Gold Standards Act 1925 better known as Bill 227 or 277 if Hansards have it correct which dissolved the connection to Gold in our currency as the bill was finally passed on the 21 of September 1931, hence why we now operate Fiat Currency which is backed by the tax or labour of the citizens, furthermore to back up the Bankruptcy claim is double entry bookkeeping which is just a claim and counter claim balancing exercise. Whatever you chose to research we ARE in full bankruptcy, and so in

It's only fair to share...Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Digg this

18 Responses to “Post-9-11 Anxiety Increases Distrust: More American Waivers Needed”

  • goldenboygq9:

    I fuck your mom

  • MoodyMan1978:

    What is the exemption id#? Would it be the account number???

  • BigBearHuskyMusher:

    how do you know your exemption ID# ?

  • 95fordtbirdlx:

    i done this with an irs bill and i got a letter stating it was paid in full 6 days letter

  • Ragesauce:

    why doesn’t anyone upload a letter saying this worked, it doesn’t make any sense, we can talk about how it works it works, but without a letter or something saying they put the account to ZERO, then wtf??

  • sUNaRMYK:

    Good stuff Winston, i fully understand what you’re saying here. Wonder if the UK corp would allow this, or send me court for fraud

  • SmokestackBarrons:

    This IS the Govs “Sceem “ dude. They created this and never told us. It is OUR $ they are accessing from
    our birth bonds. WAKE UP duhhh and yes it does work, and its 100% legal

  • noonesflower:

    Does anyone know if this works in Italy? do they have ‘accepted for value’ in their system?

  • VeggiePower303:

    This is not clear at all.
    I am just getting irritated.

    He is not explaining the therms as they apply in this context.

  • camdenjw:

    it’s your social security number

  • verynicelookingguy27:

    I have a question: Okay I sent the IRS in Nebraska several A4V’s which included student loans. my bank loans, a credit card and a car loan.. I A4V’d all of that stuff.. Well that was about 2 weeks ago. I’m wondering how long does it normally take to know if it worked or not?

  • slonamu:

    See the IRS website about this and other sceems. You do this and you get in federal prison. The govertment is not that stupid…

  • lovell123456789:



    how do you know what account and number?

  • missionaryoffaith:

    don’t you have to put money order

  • NOLA guy:

    From your question it sounds like you are currently in the USA. If yes, you need to talk to an attorney who is familiar with US immigration law. If money is an issue, search “immigration rights groups” for where you live. They can either help or at least refer you to low-cost legal advice.

    if you are in Canada you may want to simply go to the border and try entering the USA. Just present your passport and go for the day. You will either have no problem, or they won’t let you in. At least you will know.

    Do note that Canadians do not need a visa to attend school in the USA. If you have been a student the whole time you may not have “over-stayed” at all.

  • bw022:

    Your first step is to call a lawyer. Yesterday. The lawyer will likely talk with your parents, get them to sign affidavit that they never informed you of your visa status and you were a child when you moved to the United States, and send a letter to US Immigration asking that the “overstay” be removed from your record and that you be granted a temporary visa until things are sorted out. The former should be fairly automatic. The later… kind of iffy. US Immigration may want to take the easy (for them) route of having you return to Canada and then sorting it out.

    If you don’t get the overstay removed, you are banned from entering the US or applying for any visa for five years. After that, it remains on your record and causes no end of problems at the border or will any application. Worse, if you now get caught in the country, you’ll be deported. A deportation is pretty much a life time ban on re-entering the country.

    However, you now should realize that you probably have no grounds for staying. If your mother obtained US citizenship she may sponsor you for a green card. Otherwise, you have to go have to return to Canada and either apply for a US student visa or green card on your own merits — which is extremely hard to even with university degree, years of work experience, and money in the bank.

    There isn’t much US immigration can do. Your lawyer can go through the options, but (unless your mother got her citizenship), there wouldn’t have been anything they could have done in order to get you to stay in the US even if they were on-top of your visa.

    I would also make sure you have your Canadian birth certificate and get ready to contact the Canadian embassy re: getting a temporary passport in case US immigration doesn’t give you any type of temporary visa or when that runs out.

  • MomSezNo:

    You’re not going to get the info you need here. You need to consult with a lawyer – one who specializes in immigration issues.

Chickens Secondary Header
728x90 header
Search the Site
film contracts
Script to Sales
Chicken Pens and Runs
Application Selection